In this almost 20th episode of Living Outside the Boat, Wayne and Jared cover a wide array of hard hitting topics like naked reality shows, gay fast food, the usefulness of religion as viewed by the average American and the problem with men (for the ladies in our audience, we only had time cover one issue in this episode, but it’s a biggie!). Let us know what you think in the comments below or on facebook at http://facebook.com/LivingOutsidetheBoat.
Links and Articles
- Welcome to the brave nude world of reality TV (note: contains still pictures and preview for television show) by Jane Ridley
- Majority Of Americans Believe Religion Can Answer Most Of Today’s Problems: Poll by Antonia Blumberg
- Survey: Many don’t want atheist in-laws by Cathy Lynn Grossman
- All in the family? Not for atheists by Sara Grossman
- Huge Number Of Americans Do Not Want Atheist In-Laws, Pew Survey by Cathy Lynn Grossman
- Pew: How Many Americans Would Be Happy If Their Child Married a ‘Born-Again’ Christian by Kate Tracy
- Blaise Pascal on a New Study Showing Men Who Rather Experience Electrial Shock Than Be Alone With Their Thoughts by Justin Taylor
- Doing something is better than doing nothing for most people, study shows
- A ‘Gay’ Hamburger? Burger King Selling ‘The Proud Whopper’ to Celebrate Sin
We’re a little late in adding links and show notes, show if you’ve already listened to the podcast, more power to you! If you haven’t, enjoy this episode where Jared and Wayne discuss the troubles of being a cool thirteen year old, what the church should be doing to bridge the marriage divide and how evangelicalism in American has changed over the last several decades. Make sure to listen to the podcast below, head on over to iTunes and review the podcast, then check out the links below.
Links and Articles
- Cool at 13, Adrift at 23 by Jan Hoffman
- 3 Ways Churches Can Bridge the “Marriage Divide”
- How American Evangelical Christianity Has Changed… by Roger Olsen
In this week’s podcast, Jared and Wayne spend most of their time just trying to get the opening line right (and that doesn’t include all the stuff we cut out). From there, they reflect a little bit on last week’s show, discuss the issue of force fed faith, those bratty pastors’ kids and why the Assemblies of God church has grown for the last 1/4 century. Make sure to check out Jared’s triumphant return to the podcast.
Links and Articles
Jared is on hiatus this weekend, so Wayne went in search of a suitable replacement and found 13 year old Jacob to co-host this week. Following the exciting reveal of the winners of the First Ever Living Outside the Boat Bible Awards (can we dim the lights the please?), Jacob shares his insights into what it’s like to be a Christian teenager in the world today. No show notes or links this weeks, so just make sure that you enjoy the podcast below and pose any thoughts or questions in the comments below or at http://facebook.com/livingoutsidetheboat/.
Jared and Wayne cover the gamut of topics this week including a mom who stood up for her parental rights, condemning people for lack of church attendance, a healthy dose of divine agnosticism, changing morals in our culture, why kids don’t read and people who obsess about their pets. If there is a topic out there, Wayne and Jared cover it in this week’s rapid fire speed round of a podcast. Make sure to listen to the podcast and check out the links below. Also, make sure you vote in our first ever Bible Awards (see Episode #13). The voting is open through next Monday afternoon and results will be announced on a very special episode next week.
LINKS AND ARTICLES DISCUSSED
- Are You Accidentally Condemning People for Not Coming to Church? by Leilani Haywood
- Divine Agnosticism: How pop Christianity’s inability to say “I don’t know” is keeping us from God. by Skye Jethani
Changing Moral Acceptability
- Gallup: Gay sex, divorce, extramarital sex reach new highs of ‘moral acceptability’ by Kevin Eckstrom
Why Don’t Kids read?
- Kids Don’t Read Books Because Parents Don’t Read Books by Jordan Shapiro
Pets Are Not Kids!!!!
- Pope Francis Tells Couples Not to Substitute Dogs and Cats for Children by Josephine McKenna
- Pope Francis, cats and no kids: The Twitterverse responds by Heather Adams
- When Animals Lose Their Minds by Laurel Braitman
- After the Rapture Pet Care
Evangelism Linebacker (the video we promised)
Make sure you vote for the First Ever Living Outside the Boat Bible Awards before next week at: http://www.livingoutsidetheboat.com/2014/episode-13-living-outside-boat-bible-award-nominations/
In this week’s episode, Wayne and Jared bring back the popular, “You’ve Gotta Be Kidding Me!” segment with a discussion of police tactics in San Francisco, California. From there they move to the more sobering topic of the shootings and stabbings the week before last in Isla Vista, California and the impact divorce may have had on those events. From there they take a broader look at the issue of divorce and the church and finish up with a staggering revelation about public perception of the Holocaust.
LINKS AND ARTICLES DISCUSSED
San Francisco Bait Bikes
- Do S.F.’s ‘bait bikes’ stop thieves or entrap poor? by Kurtis Alexander
Divorce and Isla Vista Shootings
- California shootings: Elliot Rodger’s revealed as a crippingly shy boy whose sense of alienation drove him over the edge.
- Isla Vista shooting: Read Elliot Rodger’s graphic, elaborate attack plan.
- Articles: The ‘Twisted World’ of Elliot Rodger by Jack Cashill
- Divorce Ministry 4 Kids
- I Am A Child of Divorce
- Hope 4 Hurting Kids
In this special episode of Living Outside the Boat, Wayne and Jared nominate and discuss Bible stories and verses (and some non-Bible stories and verses) for the first annual (and probably last annual) Bible Awards Show. Over the next couple of weeks, we encourage our listeners to vote on the nominations in the 14 categories below (or add your own entries). On Episode 15, we will share our winners. Please encourage your friends and acquaintances to come fill out the survey too!
Fresh off their bye week, Jared and Wayne kick off this week’s episode with the second installment of “What Does the Christian Say?” then on to another brand new segment called either “Those Crazy Christians” or “We Don’t All Think That Way!” Regardless of the name, it’s time for Jared and Wayne to call out some of the crazier things self-proclaimed Christians have been saying. From there, they ask the question, why do people lie about going to church which leads into a blessed discussion on the importance of words. And, they wrap up the show this week talking about Atheist TV (This ain’t your grandma’s Nickelodeon!).
Links and Articles Related to the Show
- God’s anger over gay marriage may be behind floods, says politician by Cath Martin
- Catholic Hospital Worker Tells Couple that Atheists Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Reproduce
- Americans Claim to Attend Church Much More Than They Do by The New York Times
- They Feel ‘Blessed’ by Jessica Bennett
- What Profanity Is Costing You As A Communicator by Donald Miller
- Atheist TV: Coming soon to a television near you by Kimberly Winston
On this week’s show Jared and Wayne introduce a knew game called “What Does the Christian Say?” Listen as Jared answers with rapid fire accuracy letting us all know how Christians should respond to some of the biggest stories in the news. Oh, and let’s hope he’s right too! From there we talk about the recent controversy surrounding Crisis Pregnancy Centers, NARAL and Google, and we wrap the show up with a discussion of why the church needs to talk more about sex. You don’t want to miss this episode. Listen below or search for “Living Outside the Boat” in your favorite mobile podcast listener and iTunes.
Links and Articles Related to the Program
- Google removes ‘deceptive’ crisis pregnancy center ads from search by Sophia Lee
- Is Internet Porn To Blame For Rise of the Nones? by Joel Miller
- Pornography in the Pew – a Hidden Sin by Gabrielle Devenish
- XXX Church – Stats – Men
- XXX Church – Stats – Teens
- The Stats on Internet Pornography Infographic
- Fight the New Drug – Get The Facts
- Parental talk about sexuality with kids
- Free 31 Days of Purity E-Book by Mike Leake & Tim Challies
- Hope 4 Hurting Kids – Pornography Exposure Pinterest Board